There is a commercial on TV right now advertising this Tonka truck for little boys (specifically!!) that they can sit on and scoot around on, etc. And the commercial starts on saying something like, "BOYS! They're just built different!" And it goes on about this truck for a while and how active little boys are and how masculine the Tonka truck is (or.. something to that effect). At the very end it says "TONKA! BUILT FOR BOYHOOD!!"
I mean, sometimes girls like to scoot around on trucks, too. Jeez. That sounds way better than playing house, in my opinion. Damned gender behavior forced on our children. Just yesterday in my human sexual behavior class, the instructor read us some DISNEY books that she bought for her girls, to demonstrate this. In all three of the books she showed us, the boy characters were being active and solving problems and getting dirty and being very in-control while the little girl characters did things like housework (outdoors, no less!) and be the "helpers" to the little boy characters, and then the boy characters for ALL the credit in the end. Oh, Walt. You slay me.
I can't decide if my anger towards the commercial is rational or irrational. This is my constant dilemma. I also probably didn't describe this well enough. Whoops.
Where is spring?

3 comments:
100% rational.
Also, don't get me started on that kind of shit. Seriously. Wanna talk about girls v. boys in the lion king? or little mermaid... i get really excited about it
SIMPLY UNTRUE. Women were taught to plan things to.. like.. weddings and childbirth.. right?
I love being aggressive and playing with my hammer.. IN fact I am going to end this comment because I am feeling the sudden urge to drill something (that damned Hannah Montana)
I get really excited about that TOO! Those discussions are so much fun.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go wash dishes outside while I prepare my womb and hope that someone gets me pregnant real soon.
Post a Comment