24 January 2008

C

I am irrationally angry.

I went to the bank this morning to deposit the check that I got from house/dog sitting last weekend. I had been meaning to do so all week and either didn't have time during bank hours, or just plain forgot that it was on my to-do list. Anyway, today I got my act together and took my happy ass to the bank to cash this here check.

So here I am. I'm sitting at the drive-thru window, waiting for the teller to return to me my check card, driver's license, and cash. It's a man, a pretty young guy. Younger than 30, for sure. Maybe 26-28. I can't remember ever having a dude as a teller before, which doesn't bother me (YAR, FEMINISM!!) but it did stick out in my mind, because it's usually a blonde woman whose hair is too big and too bleached, or something along those lines.

Anyhow, I digress. Finally, the guy pushes the button so that the droor opens with all my stuff in it, and as I'm picking it up he says, "Have a great day, Katie!"

I was stunned.

Everything I gave him said 'Catherine' on it. My license. My debit card. The check that I was getting cash for. Everything said 'Catherine,' with a C (dur.) And he doesn't know me. I've never seen him before, we don't know each other on a personal level, everything I gave him said 'Catherine' on it, and yet he takes my name and shortens it to something THAT DOESN'T EVEN START WITH THE SAME LETTER, FOR CHRIST SAKE. He arbitrarily called me 'Katie' for no reason whatsoever, unless you count him just wanting to call me something other than my name.

Seriously, people. Come on. Katharine/Katherine/Kathryn don't always translate to Katie, and Catherine with a C sure as hell doesn't. Don't make assumptions about my name, you don't even fucking know me.

All I could do was give him a weird look and drive away.

I told you I was irrationally angry.

4 comments:

AC said...

he clearly doesn't know that your name is kitty.

Catherine said...

seriously. what a dick.

tyler holidae said...

haven't you seen mean girls?? Caty. so ha.

Catherine said...

uhm, that's Cady, actually. FAIL.